To improve the education, health and performance of our area singers by inspiring, refining and enabling our member voice teachers and associated professions.
To be innovative in bringing great singing and teaching of singing to performers, teachers and our audiences.
All audiences in the Treasure Valley will have heightened artistic experiences through excellent performances.
TVNats provides opportunities for professional growth to its members by sponsoring local master classes, workshops, performance opportunities and competitions, and collaboration with other local musicians.
- We promote good singing and teaching in our communities by networking, building working relationships, and referrals.
- We support and build our musical community through interaction with local performers, teachers, singers, choir directors, collaborative pianists and university faculty.
- We desire to include and educate the public who then supports music in our schools and communities. Our events reward parents for supporting the music education of their children.
NATS organizes singing competitions, intern programs, and networking opportunities.
Membership gives access to The Journal of Singing, Classical Singer Magazine, and Inter Nos newsletter.
The national organization supports a multifaceted website with resources for member teachers to access scholarships, chats with recognized experts from a variety of specialties, and details of professional meetings and conferences. There is always something new!
The Treasure Valley Chapter of the National Association of Teachers of Singing (TVNats) was formally established in April of 1998. A few area members had participated in NATS events through chapters in other areas and states and desired to establish a chapter to benefit teachers and voice students locally.
Since that time, TVNats has sponsored Chapter Auditions for local teachers and students, honors recitals, master classes, and workshops for educators. We also collaborate with Opera Idaho and others supporting performance and educational events.
Over the years, we have sponsored local master classes, private lessons and group presentations with:
- Dale Moore of Indiana University
- Shirley Emmons and Alma Thomas of New York and London
- Barbara Honn of Cincinnati Conservatory
- Steven Crawford, conductor at the Met
- Shari Rhoads at University of Iowa
- Darrell Babidge of Brigham Young University and Juilliard
- Pamela Gilmore of Rutgers University
- Theodore Sipes of University of Virginia
- Gayle Lockwood of Brigham Young Univesrity
- Daniel Belcher, Grammy award winning baritone
- Jonathan Rezlaff of Vanderbuilt University
- JoAnn Ottley, voice coach with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
- Lynn Robert Berg, III and wife Laura of Idaho Shakespeare Festival and Great Lakes Theater lead a class on acting techniques and working in the performance world
In 2002, our TVNats Chapter was honored to sponsor the NATS Intern Program lead by Elaine Bonazzi, Constanza Cuccaro, Ludlow Hallman and Robert Harrison. Held at Boise State University, our local members were privileged to attend and observe as these nationally acclaimed pedagogues taught the interns who were selected to participate.
We currently are working to expand membership and participation by sponsoring events of broad interest to our local musicians.
Special thanks to our emeritus officers